We are using the "Baby Led Weaning" approach. It allows us to let her eat pretty much what we're eating with her own hands. For example, last night we had a stir-fried squid dish (thanks honey it was yummy!) and some stir-fried bok choy. We sat Kora in her little booster seat and put a piece of bok choy on her tray. She picked it up, tasted it with her tongue, and started sucking on it. When she was done (bored) with one piece, we would give her another. We can tell she is done by the way she dramatically tosses it away.
This method allows her to go at her own pace, exploring the foods that she sees us eating, and swallow some of it (which we find out a day later). It's non stressful for her and for us. We're able to all eat at the table and eat our own food. Darren and I actually have conversations at the table!
She has gagged a few times, but the gag reflex in babies is close to their mouths, so they very rarely choke. Of course, we keep an eye on her at all times.
To date, she has had apples, boiled carrot sticks, boiled green beans, bok choy, lettuce, avocado, and Japanese sweet potato. It can get pretty messy, but it's so much fun. Plus, I think Kody is starting to like her more since he found out she'll drop food.

Why won't you paparazzi let me eat in peace!
Now to answer the question on everyone's mind: Are you going to feed her rice cereal? The truth is, I don't know! I bought a box just in case, but I haven't felt the urge to give her any, especially now that I hear the whole sleeping longer on rice cereal is just a myth. As she eats more foods I'll update the blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment