Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Art never tasted so good

One of Kora's new favorite things to do is draw. Whenever she sees a a crayon, a pen, or even a piece of drawing paper, she immediately says, "draw? draw?". As a matter of fact, her first sentence was signing, "help" (waving the crayon to me) "fish". Needless to say, D and I have drawn dozens of fish over the last couple of weeks. We've also worked on snakes, flowers, babies, butterflies, birds, and of course, Pop.

Yesterday I decided to introduce her to the wonderful world of finger painting. This was no small decision for me. Remember that any project with a toddler turns out to be about 30% art, then 70% clean-up. And finger painting was a doozy. Another factor for me was trying to find a non-toxic finger paint that I felt comfortable with the possibility of her putting it in her mouth. I decided to use plain yogurt. I am equally paranoid about food coloring, so I decided to make my own. Unfortunately I wasn't completely prepared so I ended up with only two colors. For the yellow I mixed in the spice turmeric with the yogurt and got a beautiful yellow. For the green I juiced some kale and just a bit of it was enough to turn the yogurt into a nice shade of green.
Kora's palette

Kora was a bit tentative, like, what am I supposed to do with this? I had her in her booster chair with her tray, but she thought I was serving her food because she dipped her fingers in a licked them. So, I put her on the floor instead with a big piece of drawing paper.

Here are the results:







1 comment:

  1. I saw your last video and it was great! Finger painting looks awesome though haha! And YES - PLEASE -- Waka waka video!

    ReplyDelete